When people think about Switzerland, the main stereotypes tend to come to mind: the alps, chalets, cheese, more cheese, banks and watches. But what always surprises our travelers is the variety of landscapes that you find as you travel from east to west, and north to south. Each city and region has its own unique charm, architecture, traditions, food specialties and know-hows. Even if you were to only travel through our alpine resorts, you would find new panoramas each time… which is quite impressive if you think about it for such a small country with only 8.5 million people!
Over the last few years, we’ve seen our travellers come back twice, and even thrice– either because the first time they dedicated to the iconic highlights, and the second time they wanted to dig a little bit deeper on the road less travelled… or because they dedicated the first journey to the east and wanted to see the west the second time. Or perhaps it was because they were travelling around Italy, and wanted to take the time to cross the border to see the lesser-known “Ticino region”. Whatever the reason may be, we’ve got plenty in store for you to come back even a hundred times and still see something brand new each time.
Here is our Swiss Bucket List for some inspiration…
- Taste the very distinct Swiss wines by visiting a family-owned vineyard in the UNESCO-protected Lavaux or in Geneva’s lesser-known quality wine country.
2. Drive through our many world-famous alpine passes
3. Soak up the sun under the palm trees of Ticino and enjoy the Italian “Dolce Vita”. Oh and while you’re there, enjoy a cooking class to learn how to make the traditional “risotto” in a magical place that can only be reached by boat.
4. Walk the historic cobbled streets of the UNESCO-protected Swiss capital city of Bern. For a fun time in the summer and to freshen up from the heat, take an inflatable boat and cruise down the Aare River from Thun down to Bern.
5. Hike the picturesque Gastlosen trail where you’ll find scenery reminiscent of the iconic Dolomites
6. Try your hand at chocolate-making in company of one of the country’s most renowned chocolatiers and visit their factory in the alps to see how the cocoa bean is transformed into chocolate
7. Uncover the (many) secrets of the fjord-shaped Lake Luzern and sail through its turquoise-blue waters
8. Stop by to see a cow-bell maker at work, and why not have your own personalized to bring home while you’re there too?
9. Visit a local artist to discover the art of “Scherrenschnitte” or “paper-cutting”. And if you think that’s impressive, we know you’ll also love an exclusive glimpse at yodeling…
10. Why not change it up a bit and travel aboard a helicopter to see the alps from high above, or perhaps let our guide whisk you away into the high Alpine scenery aboard a unique Swiss military 4×4…
11. If architecture is your thing, you’re in for a treat with our many fairytale villages, from Stein am Rhein to Appenzell, without missing out on the traditional “mayens” in the Valais.
12. Go deeper on the road less travelled to explore the wildly romantic, pristine nature of Graubunden
14. Or perhaps set up a campfire lost in the alps to make a raclette, grill your favorite meat or roast some marshmallows
15. Wake up with the world-famous Matterhorn outside your window in your very own ski-in, ski-out hotel
16. Enjoy some adrenaline and experience Switzerland from above up while paragliding, bungee jumping, zip-lining or aboard your private hot air balloon
17. Get up early to see a local farmer make his cheese using traditional methods. And if waking up at dawn is not your thing, we have a very special underground cheese vault to show you… complete with over 3’000 cheeses!
18. Experience the art of Swiss hospitality with our tried and tested boutique hotels, as well as our more remote experiential properties that can only be reached by snow-mobile or cable car…
19. Feel like you’ve journeyed back in time as you walk through the unspoiled alps of Vals
20. Watch the sun set over the bucolic lakes and majestic alps of the Berner Oberland
21. Hop aboard one of our famous historic trains for a scenic journey through the best landscapes Switzerland has to offer…
22. Enjoy a homemade picnic or fondue on the top of a snowy glacier that can only be reached by helicopter
23. Visit a private luxury watch manufacture or make your very own watch to take home alongside an expert watchmaker
24. Hike through the country’s 60’000km of trails, cycle through the scenery aboard your e-bike or mountain bike, or go downhill with a mountain scooter or mountain cart
25. Visit and explore Switzerland’s 500 historic castles, including the iconic Chateau de Chillon on the shores of Lake Geneva. Bonus Point: avoid the crowds and enjoy spectacular view points by reaching the castle by your very own private boat!
Because your holidays are too precious not to be extraordinary, we at Chantal & Max Switzerland Travel Design save you the time and stress of internet research, and seamlessly connect you to the heart of Switzerland with our bespoke private tours, unbiased local insight and uniquely-crafted experiences. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by clicking here for your custom-designed luxury vacation to Switzerland that you will never forget!