When people think about Switzerland, the main stereotypes tend to come to mind: the alps, chalets, cheese, more cheese, banks and watches. But what always surprises our travelers is the variety of landscapes that you find as you travel from east to west, and north to south. Each city has its own unique charm, and cannot be compared in terms of what it has to offer. Even if you were to only travel through our alpine resorts, they would each look completely different in terms of panoramas and their architecture… which is quite impressive if you think about it for such a small country with only 8.5 million people!
Over the last few years, we’ve been surprised to see travelers come back twice, and even thrice– either because the first time they dedicated to the iconic highlights, and the second time they wanted to dig a little bit deeper on the road less travelled… or because they dedicated the first journey to the east and wanted to see the west the second time. Or perhaps it was because they were travelling around Italy, and wanted to take the time to cross the border to see the lesser-known “Ticino region”. Whatever the reason may be, we’ve got plenty in store for you to come back even a hundred times and still see something brand new each time.
Here is our “Swiss Bucket List” for some inspiration…
- Taste the local wine in the UNESCO-protected Lavaux wine-country
2. Drive through our renowned alpine passes
3. Soak up the sun under the palm trees of the Ticino and enjoy the Italian “Dolce Vita”. Oh and while you’re there, enjoy a cooking class to learn how to make the traditional “risotto” in a magical place that can only be reached by boat.
4. Walk the historic cobbled streets of the UNESCO-protected Swiss capital city of Bern. For a fun time in the summer and to freshen up from the heat, take an inflatable boat and cruise down the Aare River from Thun down to Bern.
5. Hike through the Dolomite-like alps of the Pays d’en Haut
6. Try your hand at chocolate-making with one of the country’s most celebrated chocolatiers
7. Uncover the (many) secrets of the fjord-shaped Lake of Luzern
8. Stop by to see a cow-bell maker hard at work, and why not have your own personalized to bring home while you’re there too?
9. Visit a local artist to discover the art of “Scherrenschnitte” or “paper-cutting”. And if you think that’s impressive, we know you’ll also love an exclusive glimpse at yodeling…
10. Why not change it up a bit and travel aboard a helicopter to see the alps from high above, or perhaps let our guide whisk you away into the high Alpine scenery aboard a unique Swiss military 4×4…
11. If architecture is your thing, you’re in for a treat with our many fairytale villages, from Stein am Rhein to Appenzell
12. Go deeper on the road less travelled to explore the wild and pristine nature of Graubunden
13. Enjoy a delicious cheese fondue in a private setting overlooking the lake and the alps
14. Wake up with the world-famous Matterhorn outside your window in Zermatt
15. Ski (or après-ski) in one of our magical alpine resorts
16. Get up early to see a local farmer make his cheese using traditional methods. And if waking up at dawn is not your thing, we have a very special underground cheese vault to show you… complete with over 3’000 cheeses!
17. Check in to your hotel that you can only reach by gondola or snow mobile
18. Feel like you’ve journeyed back in time as you walk through the faultless alps of Vals
19. Watch the sun set over the bucolic lakes and majestic alps of the Berner Oberland
20. Hop aboard one of our famous historic trains for a scenic journey through the best landscapes Switzerland has to offer…